Brian Manookian represents plaintiffs in complex, catastrophic injury, and class action cases. One hundred percent of his practice is devoted to litigation. He has handled and prevailed in major actions in areas of law as varied as health care liability, constitutional claims, consumer protection, and business disputes. Known for both his intellect and aggressive approach to litigation, Brian’s clients describe him as the go-to guy when the defendant won’t budge, and it’s time to go to battle.
And after the smoke clears, Brian’s results speak for themselves. In one recent twelve-month span, Brian recovered over $20,000,000 for clients injured by the negligence or wrongful conduct of others.
Brian grew up in Nashville and has deep roots in the community. After graduating from Goodpasture Christian School and Lipscomb University, he turned down scholarship offers from multiple Ivy League law schools, choosing to stay home in Middle Tennessee. Brian attended Vanderbilt University Law School on scholarship where he distinguished himself academically, including being selected for Law Review and serving as an editor.
In practice, Brian’s clients range from Fortune 500 companies and high-profile politicians to small businesses and families. He takes pride in being available to them at all hours of the day and night, going so far as to ensure that each one has his personal cell and home phone numbers. As for defendants, Brian’s relentless style of litigation is unique even among trial lawyers. And it’s so effective, he is frequently hired by the very same entities he previously sued. Of the many indicators of an attorney’s skill and success, Brian believes having former adversaries retain him to represent them in future matters is quite possibly the highest practical endorsement an attorney can receive.
- Recovered tens of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts as lead counsel in cases ranging from medical malpractice to major trucking accidents to consumer actions.
- Prevailed in a series of highly-technical consumer cases alleging widespread fraud in the diamond industry, securing significant settlements, and directly leading to the dissolution of one of the world’s largest and oldest diamond certifying organizations. Following Brian’s sustained assault on the company’s practices, it issued a press release announcing it was disbanding its global operations from Israel to South Africa and the United States, and would thereafter “cease to exist.” Brian’s efforts led to major changes in the diamond industry and received global media attention.
- Obtained major settlements for clients defrauded by prominent national timeshare corporation. Following payment, and as a result of Brian’s suits, the company shut down its business entirely.
- Brought what the national media has described as “the largest class action lawsuit in American history” against Google for illegally intercepting Wi-Fi users’ data during its Street View Mapping campaign, prevailing against Google at the Federal District Court and Court of Appeals.
- Defeated U.S. Congresswoman who sued campaign opponent for defamation and was seeking to have opponent’s campaign commercials pulled from the air. Brian successfully defended the ads in an emergency hearing, allowing them to continue running during the critical period leading up to the election.
- Defeated Metro Councilwoman in a widely reported defamation case in which the Councilwoman alleged her constituents had slandered her by petitioning for her recall. Brian not only had the cases dismissed, along the way he exposed the Councilwoman’s longtime physician partner as having fraudulently obtained his medical license, successfully petitioning the Board of Medicine to revoke his ability to practice in the State.
- Obtained significant jury verdict against well-known Nashville bar and music venue whose employee assaulted a law student, leaving him with permanent brain injuries.
- Defeated major multi-state retailer who sued small local business for defamation. Facing off against a large, national law firm, Brian forced a dismissal in less than twenty-one days.
- Obtained numerous summary judgments for clients, securing victories as a matter of law without the need for a trial.
- Briefed and prevailed in numerous appellate cases, including securing decisions that now define important areas of Tennessee healthcare and injury law.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Keynote Speaker, Harvard Law School, 2016 Spring Symposium. Brian served as the invited Keynote Speaker at Harvard Law School’s annual Spring Symposium on Legislation where he was recognized as “the plaintiff’s attorney who orchestrated the largest class action lawsuit ever in a wiretapping claim against Google – uncovering billions of dollars of claims of potential damages.“
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent. Brian is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, a designation awarded to less than 10 percent of attorneys worldwide who are selected by their peers in a confidential process as “an elite lawyer with the highest professional ability and ethical standards.”
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star. Brian is recognized as an “outstanding lawyer, under the age of 40, who has attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.” Super Lawyers is an independent ratings firm whose selection process includes in-house research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. Less than 2.5 percent of lawyers in a state are named to the Super Lawyers Rising Star List.
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member. Brian is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an organization whose membership is limited to trial lawyers who have won multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. Selection is based on strict and objective standards, recognizing trial lawyers who “have each demonstrated, in an objective and tangible way, their ability to accomplish superior results in complex cases.” Fewer than 1 percent of lawyers in the United States are members.
- The National Law Journal, Elite Lawyers of The South. Brian was selected by ALM and Martindale-Hubbell to be featured in the 2018 Edition of The National Law Journal’s Elite Lawyers of the South as a Trial Lawyer in the fields of Health Care Litigation and Plaintiff’s Medical Malpractice Litigation.
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40. Brian is recognized by The National Trial Lawyers as one of the Top 40 Under 40 Civil Plaintiff’s Lawyers in the State of Tennessee. Selection is based on actual trial and litigation results as well as reputation among one’s peers.
SELECTED TENNESSEE SUPREME COURT CASES
- Banks v. Elks Club Pride of Tennessee, 301 S.W.3d 214 (Tenn. 2010)
- Powell v. Community Health Sys. Inc., 312 S.W.3d 496 (Tenn. 2010)
SELECTED TENNESSEE COURT OF APPEALS CASES
- Jackson v. HCA Health Services of Tennessee, Inc. (Tenn. App. 2012)
- Cardiac Anesthesia Services, PLLC v. Jones (Tenn. App. 2012)
- Smith v. Pratt (Tenn. App. 2009)
- Cookeville Regional Medical Center Authority v. Cardiac Anesthesia Services, PLLC (Tenn. App. 2009)
- Lawrence v. HCA Health Services of Tennessee, Inc. (Tenn. App. 2008)